Wednesday, January 28, 2009

This week: Atlanta's Aria

Tomorrow is my birthday! Yes. I turn ... um 30, again! This year is a special birthday because I am spending it with two of my closest oldest friends, Allie and Rachel. Allie and I are flying tomorrow afternoon to Atlanta to visit with our friend from grade school, Rachel.
Of course, since it's my birthday, Rachel said that I could pick the restaurant that we go to for my birthday dinner. After doing a little bit of research, I decided to book a dinner reservation at Aria.
Aria opened its doors in Spring 2000 in one of the hippest hottest trendiest places in town, Buckhead. Buckhead has become a place be seen since it is frequented by a lot of young professionals. Chef and restaurateur Gerry Klaskala has received plenty of attention as Aria was named one of the country's best restaurants in 2000 by Esquire magazine and tops local lists for best restaurant, best chocolate desserts, best food and wine pairings and most romantic. The ambiance of the restaurant so I have heard is intimate and romantic. I'm very excited to visit this restaurant on Thursday. I have also read quite a bit about chef Klaskala's version of "slow food"-- those braised, roasted, stewed and patiently simmered meats so savory they are creating headlines. This is no surprise ... Chef Klaskala graduated with honors from the Culinary Institute of America.

0 comments: