Thursday, July 5, 2007

Etete, an Ethiopian Gem on U Street

Last week, on the same day, I had Afghan and Ethiopian food. I didn't think that that my stomach could handle it, but I think that I did well. Last week on Friday before a show at the 9:30 Club, my husband and I decided to try Etete. It's listed on the Washingtonians 100's Very Best Restaurant list as number 76.
This looked more like a contemporary bistro than an Ethiopian restaurant. The walls were adorned with photos and various dining awards. We ordered as an appetizer the tomato salad (but without the green peppers) but was very disappointed to discover that the dressing for the salad was a store bought, comparable to a Kraft Italian. I wasn't very happy about that. We also tried the Sambusa (Beef: Triangular shaped pastry crust filled with fried beef, green, pepper, jalapeno, onion). I am pretty sure that I ordered the Beef, but what we were served is the Lentil (Triangular shaped pastry crust filled with lentil, green pepper, jalapeno, onion). To be honest, I loved it ... and we actually ordered one more Lentil. For my entree, I ordered the Yefem Tibs (*Etete's Special) described on the menu as charcoal broiled sliced prime tender beef marinated in white wine and rosemary, with a touch of garlic and black pepper. My husband order a spicy meat dish, I don't recall what it was, but it was firey reddish in color probably from the berbere. Although it was too spicey for me to eat as my main entree, I think it was very good. I also decided to try the honey wine. When I first tried it, it was very strong, but sweet at the same time. You have to almost force yourself to finish the glass. It is an acquired taste, after each sip, I liked it a little better.

1 comments:

simon said...

well written, affectionate, and interesting blog.
I thought about including a link to your site on my blog.

if you ever get the chance, come visit me back

Best,
Simon

my blog is www.BrawnyHunk.com (not nearly as superficial as it sounds ;-) )