Monday, June 18, 2007

Restaurant Kolumbia


Restaurant Kolumbia. (1801 K Street NW) Chef/Owner Jamie Stachowski.


Of course, my friend Mike (Yarger, of Acadiana; see previous blogs) that always takes such good care of me while I am experiencing my latest adventure in DC restaurant scene (thanks, Mike), has worked with Jamie when he was an Executive Chef at eCitie restaurant in Tysons Corner. So of course Mike, being who he is (very sweet) spoke to Carolyn (Chef's wife and restaurant Manager) and arranged a meeting for me with Chef Jamie Stachowski.

I was also spoiled with a tasting board (compliments of the chef) of Jamie's specialties. The board contained varieties of mostly hand-crafted meats. All of which Chef knew that I would never have tried otherwise, if he hadn't presented it to me. The board contained kielbasa with pickle chips, liver, lamb shoulder, veal breast with sweetbreads, blood sausage, smoked fish on pumpernickel and everything was a delectable experience of it own.

My favorite was the kielbasa and the pickles. It was presented like a kabob, loved it. Also surprisingly good was the accompaniment to the bread basket. I believe it was eggplant ... (according to our server). I was the only one who was willing to try it. It tasted like a very cremey Guacamole, rich in flavor and a perfect texture for the unadventurous diners.
So for my meal, I ordered only one course, the Baked Blue Crab Cake, Blended with Scallop Mousse, Creole Sauce, Homemade Potato Chips.
It was very different than any other crabcake that I have ever eaten. It was very rich and the scallop mouse gave the cake a creamy consistency.
I dredged every other bite in the bright orangish creole sauce. It changed the taste of the crab cake from creamy to spicey ;)
Two of the other ladies ordered a choice from the second course menu, the "Rock and Roll", described as Tempura Rock Shrimp, Crispy Calamari, Asian Daikon Slaw, Shallot Remoulade". I thought that the rock shrimp were dry and bland, but the calamari was fried to perfection and a little bit salty, but nevertheless, perfect. My favorite thing about the Rock and Roll was the Asian Daikon Slaw.
The slaw was colorful and the vingear mix was perfect. I could have eaten several more helpings. I loved it ... I wish that they would have had that with my crab cake.
I would definitely recommend the experience to others.

Stay tuned for my next excursion, 2941, Another restuarant on the Washingtonian's 100 Very Best Restaurant list.

0 comments: